Friday, April 23, 2010

Save the Planet GRANOLA


Makes about 8 - 10 cups
Time: Approx 30 minutes

Ingredients

6 Cups Rolled Oats (not quick cooking or instant)
2 Cups Mixed Nuts or Seeds (I use whole almonds and crush them into oblivion with a hammer: this gets them to be a good side, and provides a great opportunity to release any mommy-angst; Holden likes to help)
1 Cup dried unsweetened coconut
1/2 - 1 Cup Milled Flaxseed
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt (I use kosher)
1 Cup Honey (or to taste)
1/2 C Pure Maple syrup (yes, real maple syrup. And like the honey, 'or to taste.')
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Craisins
  1. Preheat oven to 300
  2. Place large baking pan over medium-low heat (I tried cookie sheets but found a roasting pan works fabulously!) Place pan over two burners if it's convenient. Add the oats and cook, stiring occasionally until they get a little brown and become fragrant (3 -5 minutes)
  3. Add nuts/seeds and continue to cook, stirring frequently - about 2 minutes
  4. Add coconut, stirring approx. two minutes.
  5. Continue with this process, adding flaxseed and cinnamon, and salt.
  6. Add honey and maple syrup; stiring until all oats are coated and sweetener is evenly distributed.
  7. Bake 18 - 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during that period.
  8. Remove pan from oven, add dried fruit, stir and cool. Continuing to stir until granola reaches room temperature
  9. Transfer to a sealed container and store in refrigerator. It will keep indefinitely.
Editor's Notes:

This recipe is (like most of my 'creations') adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. His recipe only calls for 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of honey or syrup. When I make it for my family, I use closer to his measurements. When I make it as a gift, I use the above measurements.

Also, I try to use organic ingredients when available. The organic variety of cinnamon I use is fragrant and powerful - I love it! I also buy organic raisins in bulk from Costco, along with organic milled flaxseed.

In my experience, higher quality ingredients make for easier baking/cooking, with superior flavors.

Bittman also adds that "The contents and proportions of granola are more governed by individual taste than most other foods." So experiment with spices like nutmeg, or try different varieties of fruit/dried nuts. His recipe only calls for 1 cup of dried fruit, but as you can see above, I like a lot sweet and fruit in my granola. Must be my SUITE tooth. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment