Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cold Emerald Peanut-Sesame Noodles

I love this recipe for a number of reasons:
  1. Most peanut sauce recipes end up looking a plain AND boring brown – but this dish is a bright green (thus “Emerald”) that resembles a spring pesto
  2. The only thing I turn on the stove for is to boil water and noodles (I don’t even add the fried scallions the original recipe called for)
  3. You get all the nutrients from raw spinach, without the raw spinach taste
  4. It’s super easy and deliciously satisfying

Cold Emerald Peanut-Sesame Noodles

Adapted from “A Year in A Vegetarian Kitchen” by Jack Bishop

Sesame Noodles

1 T salt

1 pound fresh Chinese noodles (I would sub whole wheat noodles)

Emerald Peanut Sauce

3 C packed baby spinach leaves

1/3 C smooth natural peanut butter (w/out sugar or additives)

1 T minced gingerroot

1 T Sugar (I used a tsp instead)

½ tsp hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)

1/3 C hot water

3 T Soy Sauce

1 T rice vinegar

Fried Scallion Garnish (I didn’t actually do this part)

3 T roasted peanut oil

4 medium scallions, thinly sliced (about ½ C)

STEP ONE:

Bishop says:

  1. For the noodles: Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the noodles. Add the salt and noodles and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold running water to remove excess starch. Transfer the noodles to a large bowl and toss them with the sesame oil.

I say: Just cook some wheat noodles like you’ve done for years, and add a little oil if they’re sticking.

STEP TWO:

Bishop Says:

  1. For the sauce: Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Process scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the sauce is smooth.

I say: My food processor is mini; so I can only ‘process’ a little spinach at a time. But it’s totally worth it!

STEP THREE:

Bishop Says:

  1. For the garnish: Heat the oil in a small skillet over high heat until almost smoking add the scallions and fry stirring occasionally until light brown about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the scallions to a small plate lined with a paper towel.

I say: Why waste your time grilling one more thing. Besides, scallions are something I buy and never use all the way up (like cilantro).

STEP FOUR:

Bishop Says:

  1. To serve: With your hands or two spoons, separate the noodles. Add the sauce and toss until coated evenly. If the noodles, seem dry, add a tablespoon or two of cold water and toss. Transfer the noodles to a serving dish and sprinkle with the fried scallions. Serve immediately.

I say: Toss, coat and enjoy. Again, the scallions just seem like extra work for me… and does anyone really love scallions? I think you’d be ok to make the sauce a couple of hours or so before and then just pour on the noodles when you’re ready to serve. I also heated this up for lunch the day after, and it was awesome as a hot dish too!

No comments:

Post a Comment